A Guide to Korean Streetwear Fashion
Bold, chic and eccentric—that is how you define Korean fashion, also known by many as K-Fashion. No wonder the Hallyu (Korean wave) in fashion is truly taking the world by storm. Streetwear clothing, which is influenced by the fashionable streets of Hongdae in Seoul, has always been a part of the style arsenal of Korea. K-Fashion is a form of laidback streetwear that mixes and matches rock and hip-hop elements with street fashion staples like oversized shirts, caps and hoodies.
Aside from TV dramas and pop culture, K-pop music is also responsible for Korean fashion's rise in the global fashion scene. With their music videos, red carpet appearances, and off-duty looks, our beloved K-pop idols' streetwear outfits have captured the attention and cemented the fashion trends of not only their loyal fans, but also fashionistas and influencers around the world.
The Most Iconic Korean Clothing Items
Choosing what to wear is not an easy thing. That’s why most people draw style inspiration from their favorite K-pop artists or K-drama actors. We listed down some of the most iconic Korean urban streetwear clothing pieces you can use to elevate your style.
Bucket hats are key streetwear pieces that are often associated with 90s hip-hop, which is why they're an in-demand Korean fashion item. These hats are also known for their wearability and durability. In Korea, some of the biggest K-pop artists and K-drama actors are spotted wearing these hats as they are versatile pieces that go well with any style. You can match bucket hats with graphic oversized shirts, trench coats or cardigans.
You can try these bucket hats from New Era so you can channel your inner oppa style:
- New Era Plain Wet Bark Essential Bucket Hat
- The classic New Era Plain Wet Bark Essential Bucket Hat is a versatile waway hat that is made of lightweight materials and has an embroidered New Era flag. It is a perfect hat for a minimalist style and is available for PHP 2,495.00.
- New Era SPORT b. REPREVE Purple Bucket Hat
- The New Era SPORT b. REPREVE Purple Bucket Hat shows remarkable timeless style with a sense of support to our environment with 100% recycled polyester fabric made from plastic bottles, Repreve. You can purchase this hat for PHP 2,395.00.
A combination of athletic wear and leisure wear, athleisure remains the biggest style trend in Korea and was also a go-to ensemble during the pandemic. Athleisure wear has become synonymous with streetwear fashion due to its comfortable yet stylish approach to clothing. In Korea, many K-pop idols opt to blend casual pieces with sportswear during their dance rehearsals. You can hop on the trend by matching some basic shirts with athletic bottoms like sweatpants or basketball shorts and pairing them with your favorite chunky or dad streetwear sneakers.
You can check out New Era’s athleisure line and incorporate pieces into your wardrobe to pull off the perfect Korean sporty look.
- New Era New York Mix Treatment Lavender Short Sleeve T-Shirt
- The official New Era New York Mix Treatment Lavender Short Sleeve T-Shirt is an ideal streetwear shirt that gives an athleisure vibe to your style. This lavender crew neck shirt is made from 100% cotton, which is very comfortable and is also embroidered with New York, the empire state of mind.
- New Era New York Mix Treatment Black 9FORTY Unstructured Cap
- Mixed colors and stitching to form a vibrant yet retro look that is best paired with any colorful t-shirt worn any day anywhere. It is 100% cotton and made from Vietnam. This visually appealing cap is now available for PHP 2,295.00.
- New Era SPORT b. REPREVE Stone 9FORTY Adjustable Cap
- The New Era SPORT b. REPREVE Stone 9FORTY Adjustable Cap is a signature streetwear cap from New Era that should be a must-have item in your closet. This all-stone, perfectly-crafted cap is made from 100% recycled material, Repreve. Its embroidered of dino, an iconic brand identity of SPORT b., inspired by a favorite childhood toy from Agnès’ grandchildren. Cop this lifestyle cap for PHP 2,295.00.
- NFL 1997 Hawaiian Pro Bowl Ivory Short Sleeve T-Shirt
- The official New Era NFL 1997 Hawaiian Pro Bowl Ivory Short Sleeve T-Shirt is indeed worth the hype. The tee is released in honor of the Pro Bowl, the National Football League's All-Star Game which has been held since 1971. It is made as well for comfort with Coolera fabric and breathable with 67% Cotton, 33% Polyester. Grab this streetwear t-shirt for PHP 2,895.00.
The Hallyu wave continues to soar, not just in music, TV dramas, beauty and pop culture but in fashion as well. K-fashion is now used as a benchmark for global fashion trends, thanks to the country’s impeccable fashion sense and K-pop’s influence, which has led to many people investing in streetwear staples to level up their fashion A game. Always keep comfort and personal style in mind before adopting the latest Korean fashion trends.
New Era is a leading streetwear brand that understands the balance between sports, fashion and lifestyle culture through their collection of premium-quality headwear, apparel and accessories.